We’ll look at a bit of that gold history, why you should choose yellow gold and how to get the best deals on these rings.There are gold rings that date back to 4,200 BC, yes that old! This is because gold was one of the first metals to be used as currency around 700 B.C
Gold occurs in a virtually pure workable state as an ore.
This means it is quite easy to smelt i.e. separate from other metals or rock. Its first use was undoubtedly ornamental as seen in the the treasures discovered over the ages.
It was used in coins, earrings, utensils and idols by various religions.
Okay let’s jump in to why you should make yellow gold engagement rings your choice.
1) Gold is rare. Due to its limited supply, it retains value very well.
2) Gold does not corrode or tarnish. Your gold engagement ring will not only outlive you, but probably your next 7 generations if they don’t lose it.
3) Gold does not depreciate by much. Gold is used to hedge against inflation. Whenever there is an inflation, gold is bought in huge quantities to protect the currency in question.
4) Gold is very malleable so if you knock it on surfaces, it won’t break or chip. It may bend but will remain intact.
5) Gold is beautiful. Yellow gold engagement rings will turn heads and if you polish your ring twice a year, the wow effect will always be there.
6) Gold can be matched with almost any color gemstone ranging from ruby which is red, Sapphire which comes in blue or yellow, green garnet or emerald which are green and even diamond which is mainly colorless or white.
7) Since gold occurs in a pure state, it is also quite easy to add other metals to it mostly copper and at times silver.
The reason this occurs is that gold’s malleability or how easy it is to flatten works against it. Pure gold or 24 Karat gold is not used for jewelry as you can easily flatten your ring.
Gold is also very dense. This means that if you compare a dollar sized piece of iron to an equally sized piece of gold, the gold will feel so much heavier.
You wouldn’t want your gold ring or gold earrings weighing you down would you?
To work around that, copper which has half the density of gold is mixed with the gold and you get 22 Karat which has 91% gold or 18 Karat gold which has 75% gold.
14 Karat gold is on the lower scale with 58% gold in it.
How do you get the best deals on your gold engagement rings?
The answer is given above. The higher the amount of gold in a ring, the higher the price.
Yellow gold on its own can be a bit plain and a lot of the time, you’ll find it paired with some of the gemstones I mentioned earlier; the results are beautiful.
Click here to see more yellow gold rings.